Monday, June 4, 2012

Corn, Potatoes, and a Pinch of Magic


Some call it "Veggie Tales" meets "Zelda", I call it as it is - madness. How the story of Corn Ladyman came about is a rather interesting one. It all started with the second most bizarre nickname I have heard any human being give another - Grass lady man. The name was easily forgotten by the name giver and the next encounter Corn Ladyman was born. Due to the infatuation I had with this young lady, I did what I do best, I took it a step further.

Corn became a mascot of sorts. Prior to inventing Corn Ladyman's image I often tried to invent something new and "original" (whatever that means). Creations such as: The M Team (a team of super powered monsters), Roboman (Robo cop but you know... different), and JT Detectives (inspired by my love for Scooby Doo). As you can see none were exactly original and one after the other became bland, but Corn, he stuck like glue.

Corn Ladyman and the Search For the Fairy Princess was a project that began in September 2006. The title itself clearly illustrates the basic premise I had in mind. It was simple, a simple boy (Corn) saves a princess (now called Brielle) from an evil power (SpudMuffin). Over the next two years I had fallen in and out of pursuing the making of this book. It wasn't until I found myself in the small town of Geneva, New York. Living just minutes away from a lakefront it took scenic walks and a blank sketch pad just enough of an opening for my cob-headed friend to find his way back into my thoughts.

Since Geneva a variety of characters were added and upon my return to Utah I attended Utah Valley University. Participating in a few art classes caused characters to be recreated and the story line to become deeper and more complex than I ever imagined it would be.  Now six years later the dream of sending Corn and all that follows close behind him out into the world has transformed into a realistic goal of mine that I plan on achieving.

No comments: